Monday, November 9, 2009

Thinking about the outside

I really need to start planning the outdoor part of my block. Yes, I need to finish the indoors still, but that's hopefully going to progress a LOT more this week with hopefully getting my couch!! Yes, that's right, after over 3 months of waiting, I should get my couch this week or next! The ship is due to dock today so they said I should be called later this week to organise a delivery day/time.

I've also discovered that I need to get the outdoor roof put on ASAP. The hot afternoon sun directly hits the living room windows and the room just heats up soooo much that I really need the roof before blinds. I'm hoping that I can get it done before Christmas, but it really depends on my brother on when he has the time to -cough- assist -cough- me build it (read: he builds it and I help).
I'm thinking of doing a pitched roof that as I walk out the sliding door the roof goes up and then down to the fence line. The cover will most likely be alternating sheets of colorbond and laserlite and then also put a fan in the middle of the roof.

In the meantime I am thinking that I might go buy some bamboo blinds and install them on the outside of the windows by way of putting some cup hooks into the bricks and just hanging them from it. I can then later use the hooks for other things and the blinds could possibly then go on the end of the new roof or something.

I also really need to start planning my backyard and front yard. Do I want pavers around the side of the house to the clothes line and the vegie patch or do I just want a lillydale toppings path? Other paths, so out to the front of the house from the backyard will probably just be lillydale toppings, and also around the blind side, but I'm thinking maybe something a bit nicer through a lawn or something. I dunno - need to work it out!
I also really need to nut out the plan for the front garden and go looking for plants and draw it up so that I can get it approved. I'm not really in a hurry to do a huge amount plant wise until after summer, but I can at least start planning it.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! We have almost got the front garden done, but I'm desperate to see the back patio done to help with the heat (or cooling) and to keep out the dirt and mud. Fingers crossed the concrete is poured today but the roof is still about 3 weeks off. We're also going with the solid/tinted laserlite combo to keep it light - we want the best of both worlds... light but not heat. LOL

    Our backyard plans are about the same as yours so far - no plan yet except that we know we want a vege garden and a bit of space for the dog to play...

    Have fun with your planning - I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete