Saturday, April 3, 2010

Front yard has plants!

I finally have some plants in the front yard!!
Over the last few months I've spent about 3-4 hours digging through the old soil with the new soil and adding in extra goodies for the soil. I had to be careful while doing it to not hurt my back again so I restricted my self to mostly 30-45 minute sessions.

Yesterday I spent about 3 hours planting the plants and I reckon almost an hour of it was spent just looking at where I had placed the pots to work out if they were going to work where I had put them and then re-arranging them etc - I'm pretty happy with the results!

I haven't as yet planted the tree's I want to put but I am thinking I will wait until June when I can get bare rooted stock.
I'm also thinking about getting some banksia's to go around the letterbox.

Once in I gave them a good watering with some powerfeed and seasol and then mulched them, I've mulched with pea straw as I had an almost full bag of it and I am going to buy more to cover all the soil this weekend.

Here is a pictorial of the journey that my front yard has taken

When I moved in


After the driveway had been done


After I rotary hoe'ed the existing soil


After bringing in more top soil


Over a few weeks I dug through the new soil with the existing soil and added some goodies like Olsens Green Bio and Zeolite and powerfeed


Blank canvas


Rocks I acquired ;)


Ta da! I will mulch the rest of the soil this weekend but I ran out




5 Gaura plants along the driveway, or as I call them springy butterfly plants :)


5 Blue Fescue plants along the footpath


5 Kangaroo Paws they are all bush gems and the back row has (L-R) Bush Spark, Bush Pizazz and Bush Sundown and the front are both Bush Pearl


4 daphne plants - infront of these will go a Japanese Maple


3 Purple Fountain Grass plants - in front of these will be some silver birch trees


3 Grevillia's - 2 Australian Beauty's which are a nice yellow colour and in the middle is a Bonfire which is bright red
I will put in a gravel type path to the electricity and gas meter's to the left of these




From the back corner


Blue Fescue


Purple Fountain Grass


Blue Fescue, Kangaroo Paws, Gaura on the top left and Daphne on the top right of pic


Daphne


I planted sunflower seeds in my backyard over Christmas and this is the first sunflower flower :D

4 comments:

  1. What has happened Lisa? No updates for ages............ How is the garden going??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is going well - been busy though, n ot a lot has been happening house wise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see some pictures of the garden - it must be looking good now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be taking some new pics in a week or two once I get some more mulch and some tree's in the front yard

    ReplyDelete